Blog Post by Natasha S
Ernestine Smith renamed herself - to Taffeta - when she moved to California, and is the leader of the school. She cheats off tests, plays tricks on people, and doesn't care for anyone but herself and her friends. When the teacher catches her cheating off Winslow, a school 'nerd,' he gives her a chance to have a complete do-over. What she doesn't know, is that when her teacher gives her a do-over, it's a real one, where:
1. Her name is Ernestine
2. She is a big school 'nerd'
3. Tyler was going to ask her to the dance
4. Her new friendship with Winslow...?
5. She doesn't know how to get out of it
A quote from the book is, "Normally, I wear my glasses only in the morning before I put in my contacts. Okay, this is weird. I really thought I put my contacts in before school. I scratch my neck like mad, which makes everyone laugh... The scary part is that I'm wearing a black skirt with an elastic waist band. Elastic! And ankle socks with unicorns. I've got on some kind of polyester blouse, too, with horses jumping over fences. how had I not noticed this before?" (Homzie, 46). This shows that 'Taffeta' is freaking out about her changed identity. She hangs out with Winslow a lot in her 'changed form,' but she was supposed to say yes to Tyler when he asked her to go to the dance with her as Taffeta! She thinks she likes Tyler, but her new friend, Olivia, likes Tyler a lot. In the past, Taffeta and her friends sent a letter to Olivia from "Tyler" (when they were the ones who wrote it), and she feels really bad because Olivia has turned out to be a really nice and kind person, not like how Taffeta and her friends treated her. Ernestine starts to like Winslow, until she changes back into Taffeta, a world where Winslow hates her and Tyler wants to dance with her. She knows now that Tyler likes Olivia, and she might like Winslow. Tyler and Olivia are talking and having fun, while Taffeta herself isn't having fun at all. How will Taffeta get Winslow to like her again? Her life is spiraling out of control and she can't stop it! What will happen with Winslow and Taffeta? Read the book to find out!!!
I liked this book because it was funny but at the same time it makes me think of how Taffeta felt, being stuck in her own body, but feeling trapped, where your parents don't know Taffeta, but Ernestine.
I would rate it a 5/5 because I loved this book because it was funny when Taffeta realized that it wasn't "her." I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a funny read. The author adds parts about where Taffeta doubted herself and so it makes you relate to her situation.
I think that this book sounds like a very interesting book to read, and hearing your thoughts on the book makes me want to read it. Nice job! :)
ReplyDelete